NordiCHI 2016 Workshop: Call for Participants is open!
HCI and Sensitive Life Experiences is a one-day workshop that will take place at the NordiCHI 2016 Conference in Gothenburg, Sweden, between the 23rd and 27th of October. The workshop will be held at the Lindholmen Campus of Chalmers University of Technology and University of Gothenburg. For more details, see the campus map.
Important Dates and Deadlines:
- Submission Deadline: 22nd August, 2016
- Notification Date: 3rd September, 2016
- Workshop Date: 23rd of October, 2016
This workshop will bring together researchers and practitioners to share their experiences of working with vulnerable people in sensitive contexts involving digital technologies, such as but not limited to gender transition, sexual abuse, and romantic relationship dissolution.
The aim of the workshop is to identify current opportunities for, as well as barriers to, design of social computing systems that support people during sensitive life events and transitions. Workshop participants will explore themes across life experiences and consider similarities and differences. They will also draw on their own personal experiences and perspectives to respond to recent discourse on how to do research in sensitive contexts, building expertise within the research community.
We invite interested researchers and practitioners to submit a 2-4 page position paper in the SIGCHI Extended Abstracts Format, focusing on sensitive contexts, including but not limited to:
- An auto-ethnography of one’s experiences either conducting research in sensitive contexts, or interacting with technology after a vulnerable life event. This should be a reflective piece from which one can say what they learned;
- A specific case study, project, or critical evaluation of current technology in sensitive life events;
- A cross-cultural study in the context of sensitive life events and technology use.
Each submission will be shared with the other attendees in the workshop, and are to be read before the event. The submissions will also be made publicly available on the workshop website unless the authors request otherwise.
Please do not hesitate to contact the workshop organizers if you are unsure about the eligibility of your work. Submissions should be sent in PDF format to email@example.com. Submissions will be reviewed and selected on the basis of relevance to the workshop themes, potential to provoke discussion, and the quality of presentation.